"Native" English speakers

Subject: "Native" English speakers
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:18:38 -0500

Sabahat Ashraf wondered about how seriously to take the
requirements for "native" English speakers in two recent
job opportunities. As we've seen in previous discussions on
this list, some companies will probably look at your name
(or your mailing address, or your liberal arts degree, or
whatever) and not consider your credentials any further,
and that would be a darned shame, wouldn't it? It's their
loss, but it's also yours... the proverbial lose-lose
situation.

The only case where I can see "native" being important is
if the documentation is being localized. In that case, if
you don't live and breathe in the local culture, it's
doubtful you'll be able to do the job as well as a true
native with comparable skill. There are definitely
situations where knowledge of local idiom and style is as
important as the raw language skills. One thought that
occurs to me is to find out whether the company really
needs someone to localize the text; if not, then there's no
reason your skills shouldn't suffice.