Re: Links in email

Subject: Re: Links in email
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:59:42 EDT

On Sep 10, 1:37pm, Tracy Boyington wrote:
> Subject: Re: Links in email
> > - the case (upper-lower/capital-small) is optional -- e-mail addresses are
not
> > case-sensitive.]
>
> Stupid question... has this always been true? I ask because I use AOL at
> home (yes, feel free to sneer at me, for it's common knowledge that AOL
> users, like liberal arts majors and people without degrees, are all
> idiots) which lets you use upper and lower case letters in your "screen
> name," but no one outside AOL-Land could send me mail unless they used
> all lower case.

Since the more knowledgeable have not addressed this, I will take a stab at it:

E-MAIL ADDRESSES ON THE INTERNET: These, I believe have always been case
insensitive. Methinks this is defined in TCP/IP, the underlying Protocol that
sets the rules for the Internet.

AOL: I have never really bin in AOL-Land, but I am assuming the problem you
state is an idiosyncracy of the AOL system; they have their Internet-to-AOL
gateway/translation set up that way. So you gotta grin an' bear it or vote with
your mouse and emigrate to some other part of Cyberspace.

Sabahat.

--
Sabahat_Ashraf -at- MentorG -dot- com