Value of documenting menus

Subject: Value of documenting menus
From: Larry Weber <larry_weber -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:06:53 PDT

Hello,

First, in case I missed anyone, thanks to everyone that responded to my
"Looking for Opinions/Criticism" post last month.

I have another question. How do people feel about the value of online
(Winhelp) topics discussing menus and options in the menus? The doc I've
inherited has a topic for each menu. For example, the topic for the
Search menu says, "Use the Search menu to access search functions. This
menu contains the following options:" and is followed by a list of jumps
to the associated topics.

I'm under the gun here to do some reorganizing, and deleting these menu
topics will help tremendously. Is there any usability data on this type
of information? I'd like to have something solid to base this decision
on besides, "I don't think they're useful."

TIA,

Larry