Re[2]: CD Production Advice

Subject: Re[2]: CD Production Advice
From: William E Newkirk <wenewkir -at- MBNOTES -dot- CCA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:36:46 -0400

from the toshiba web site on DVD:

DVD features:

A single-interchange standard for both TV-based and PC applications
Backward read compatibility with existing CDs
Forward compatibility with future read/write and write-once DVD discs
A low-cost format
No mandatory container (caddy or cartridge)
Reliable data storage and retrieval
High on-line capacity (135 minutes of MPEG-2 video on a single side)
High performance for sequential and non-sequential data
High-quality video
High-quality sound

Also, the group that is working on a "better" DVD is Hewlett-Packard,
Philips
and Sony and some others. here's some references..(and it looks like maybe
an agreement's been
reached)

http://www.km.philips.com/dvd/default7.htm

Hewlett-Packard Company, Philips Electronics N.V., Sony Corporation,
Mitsubishi
Chemical Corporation, Ricoh Company Ltd., and Yamaha Corporation today
announced the format specifications for Phase-Change ReWritable, a 120
mm disc
format designed to be read easily by future DVD-ROM drives. This data
storage
format specifies an initial capacity of 3.0 Gigabytes (GB) per disc
surface. In the
Constant Angular Velocity (CAV) mode, high performance random access
and
transfer rates are achieved by using techniques similar to those used
in hard disc
drives. The new format enables the development of products that will
read DVD
discs and write/rewrite ReWritable discs. According to the companies,
these
products will be known as DVD+RW drives.

-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:04:17 -0500
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
I'm sorry, I don't have more. I just remember reading an article
-- I
_think_ it was on the ZDnet Web page, but it might have been in
WINDOWS magazine. The article said that standards for DVD had
been
agreed to by all the relevant parties, who were afraid of a rerun
of
the VHS/Betamax wars.
The wars are back on again, as Sony has declined to follow the herd
and
instead will produce DVD drives of substantialy higher capacity than
that
of Hitachi and the rest of the DVD Forum. We may just have an
opportunity
to see how much Sony learned from the last war.
The last report I read was that DVD *will* read all previous formats,
including CD-R. Still, since there are still currently none to be had,
that
can change. Look for DVD pricing to be a telescoped version of CD-ROM
pricing, starting quite high but falling.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224