Re: Native English Speaking Requirement

Subject: Re: Native English Speaking Requirement
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:18:30 -0400

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, M. Dannenberg wrote:

> This Sony ad has been coming up quite a few times now, maybe they're a
> bit narrow-minded about their requirements ...

I don't think that it is narrow-mindedness so much as it is a way to
deter those who are not absolutely confident in their English grammar
skills from applying. Similar to the degree v. non-degree issue in hiring
practices, I think that many employers (i.e. hiring managers) include such
criteria as *mandatory* just to help prevent "moderately interested"
candidatess from applying.

You normally wouldn't apply for a job for which you weren't strongly
confident in your own competence to perform. If you knew that your English
skills were a little shaky because you are a non-native speaker, seeing
such mandatory criteria as *Native English Speakers Only* would
probably make you say "that job is not for me."

I am sure that if you were bound and determined to prove that your English
skills were more than adequate to perform the duties of a position a
company was looking to fill, you could persuade them to consider your
skills. Honestly, if you are that confident that your skills are adequate,
you could probably get away with not mentioning the fact that you are a
non-native speaker when you apply.

If it ever came up during the interview, you could promptly direct them to
your portfolio and demontrate how your lack of native English speaking
status ;-) has had no debilitating affect on your ability to write well.
If at that point things get hostile toward you....., flee!!! You don't
want to work for them anyhow. They obviously have deeper rooted
problems--xenophobia, if you will.

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!