Re: Liberal Arts etc.

Subject: Re: Liberal Arts etc.
From: Amy Emge <emgeac -at- MUOHIO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:14:27 +0000

Carolyn Haley wrote:
>Following the pros and cons presented by this thread make me
>glad I don't have a degree. No one can focus their preconceived
>degree notions on me! Granted, I usually have to fight a
>different set of preconceived notions, but it's nice to know that
>I don't have to deal with this particular problem. Being degree-
>less, I have to _demonstrate_ my ability because otherwise few
>people will believe I have it thanks to that missing piece of
>paper.

You're glad you don't have a degree because then no one can focus their
preconceived notions on you, but as a degreeless person you're already
dealing with the preconceived notion that "few people" believe you have
ability and thus may never give you the chance to demonstrate your
ability.

I tend to believe that the positive preconceived notions about degree
holders far out number the negative.

Many non-degree holders have probably been in the situation where they
wanted to demonstrate their ability in a certain field, but weren't
given the chance because they had no degree. And although one may get a
job because of their degree, he/she is not going to keep it unless
ability is demonstrated. So among numerous other things, an advanced
education (which is a what a degree represents) can broaden one's
opportunities.

Amy Emge
Miami University