Re: Academic careers vs. technical writing

Subject: Re: Academic careers vs. technical writing
From: Scott Miller <scott_miller -at- CCMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:23:44 -0800

>>>Mucho snippo...
I have a related question--just how does a liberal arts person break into
technical writing? <<<

This is an odd question since almost all of the technical writers I know have a
liberal arts background. I was an art major, and fell into writing via graphic
arts, illustration, and paste-up work. Off the top of my head, other writers
I've worked with have backgrounds in music, anthropology, English literature,
art history, philosophy, religion, education, and political science. Technical
writing seems to be where a lot of people land after they get their completely
impractical liberal arts college degree and fall off a cliff, career-wise. It
worked out just fine for me!

- Scott Miller
Lotus cc:Mail
Scott_Miller -at- ccmail -dot- com