Re: writing for non-native speakers of English

Subject: Re: writing for non-native speakers of English
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:08:01 -0700

At 01:39 PM 9/9/97 -0400, Michele Berkes wrote:

>Well, I've gone on long enough. Opinions? Experiences? Anyone know of
>helpful resources? Authoritative research? Are there general rules to
>follow? Do the general rules for one group of languages contradict
>those for another (Germanic vs. Romance vs. ...)? Has anyone tried
>simplified English? Was it useful?

Two Resources:

Go to the International Language Engineering Web site (http://www.ile.com/)
and get their free "Accent on Internationalization" brochure (it's also
available for download as a PDF file).

Look at Chapter 8 of Philip Rubens, ed., _Science and Technical Writing: A
Manual of Style_ (ISBN 0-8050-1831-X) for addressing nonnative readers. It's
the best advice in the shortest space (25 pages) I know.

--Wayne