ITWG info

Subject: ITWG info
From: Alessandro Bottoni <albo -at- CADLAB -dot- IT>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:19:36 +0200

I received several requests of information about ITWG from people who missed the first messages.

I re-send the original ITWG "manifesto" and invite all the people interested in this initiative to subscribe to T-ITWG mail list to get more info.

Please, let free TECHWR-L and WINHLP-L and use T-ITWG to discuss about these topics or get more info.

Thanks for your attention.

International Technical Writers Group (ITWG)

What is the ITWG?

The International Technical Writers Group (ITWG) is a group of
volunteers who are committed to promoting technical writing,
world-wide.

We welcome new contributors.

Our purpose

Our purpose is to:

-- Create a central point of reference for technical writers working
around the world.

-- Stress the importance of documentation and technical writers in
today's
technologically-advanced world.

-- Promote an international "culture" of good documentation and skilled
writers.

Our purpose is not to duplicate the work of existing organizations,
but rather to complement them.

Our plans

To accomplish our purpose, we plan to:

-- Establish an e-mail list for discussing topics about our
profession (including certification, methodologies, international
trademark and copyright laws, and so on).

-- Create a multi-lingual web site to share useful information
(including job postings, established methodologies, warnings and
documents regarding legal topics, links to existing resources,
and so on.)

-- Create a worldwide network of technical writers willing to
support each other with information and suggestions.

-- Help newcomers get started by sharing our knowledge and experience.

-- Publish reference documents containing basic information (for
example, a list of common acronyms in various industries).

-- Do "basic research" about the effectiveness of various development
methods (including object-oriented information engineering,
cross-media development, and so on).

-- Contact and exchange information with schools, universities and
student organizations.

-- Organize courses for novice and experienced technical writers, both
on the Internet and in the "real world".

-- Define "good working practices", like the one used by chemists and
software developers, to improve the average quality of
documentation. (Good practices are guidelines, and are not
mandatory, of course.)

-- Organize useful surveys to learn more about our market and our
audience.

-- Establish and maintain contact with the technical and scientific
publishing community, industry, and the rest of the world,
to promote our work.

How to get involved
containing this line

subscribe t-itwg

in the body of the message.

Leave the subject field empty.

- To PUBLISH a message in the t-itwg list
send e-mail to t-itwg -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org

In this case, please write a brief presentation of your message in the subject field.

- To UNSUBSCRIBE send a message to listserv -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org
containing this line

unsubscribe t-itwg

in the body of the message.

Leave the subject field empty.

----------------

Send us an e-mail message:
Alessandro Bottoni albo -at- cadlab -dot- it
Alexia Prendergast alexiap -at- sems -dot- com

Visit our web page: (TBD)

Alessandro Bottoni
Technical writer
Cad.Lab SPA