What does a tech writer do?

Subject: What does a tech writer do?
From: Debbie Molinaro <debbiem -at- UCS -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:07:39 -0400

Hi folks!

Over the Labor Day weekend, I had an interesting conversation with a
youngster entering her freshman year of college as an English major.
Apparently, her parents are concerned with what she can "do" with an
English major. I suggested technical writing and she asked me what a tech
writer does.

I told her what I do/what I've done, with the disclaimer that this was only
a small part of a big world, and that she should talk to other tech
writers. Since she doesn't currently have e-mail (but is "pretty sure" her
school "does that"), I told her I would poke around on techwr-l for her and
forward the results when she got her address. <Details on long listserv
conversation omitted.>

So, what do you, as a tech writer, do?

Reply to me or the list, as you deem appropriate. If there's enough of a
demand and responses look "summarizable" I'll summarize to the list.

Thanks,
Debbie

Debbie Molinaro
debbiem -at- ucs -dot- net