Re: Word '97 section breaks

Subject: Re: Word '97 section breaks
From: Martha Ridge-Breil <mbreil -at- LYCOS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:26:32 -0400

>>hello,
>>does anyone know if word97 is any better with section breaks than previous
>>versions of the program? we were thinking of using one file with a
coverpage,
>>toc, mainbody, and index. we currently use RD (reference document paths)
with
>>separate files for the toc and index because section breaks are so ugly when
>>setting different headers and footers.

>>thanks,
>>laura praderio
____

Reply:

Hmm, I cannot say if the section breaks in '97 are better or worse than
those in '95 because I've only used Word 4 for the Mac and Word '97 for the
PC. The whole header and footer thing is annoying in Word '97, but once
you go into reveal codes and mess with the "same as previous" and "page #
format" features it works fine. I haven't noticed any ugly formatting
problems--my problems related to recognizing section breaks, (had to delete
and insert a few for no apparent reason), and customizing the headers
beyond what is listed in the "insert auto text" options.

To give you an idea of what I've done with headers--
My docs in Word include toc, title pages, chapters/sections, but no indexes
<yet>. The headers alternate on odd and even pages between the doc title
and heading 1. The title page and toc don't have headers; the toc includes
footers with the page numbering as i,ii,iii...the rest of the document
includes page numbering by sections, (i.e. 1-1..., 2-1..., 3-1...).

Hope this helps,
Martha

Martha R. Breil
Sr. Technical Writer