Re: Academic careers with/vs. tech writing

Subject: Re: Academic careers with/vs. tech writing
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:06:11 -0400

In a message dated 97-09-04 12:20:05 EDT, hbrace -at- AIMQUEST -dot- COM (Harrison
Brace) writes:

<< I could still complete my dissertation in my
"spare time" and go on the academic job market, >>
As an arty type who uses technical writing as my Patron of the Arts, I'm
bemused why you don't simply give yourself the best of both worlds and do
contract work, focus on making money for short hops, then leave yourself
several months to devote to your dissertation. Forget career path - do it
for the money (and change of scene).

I first cottoned to this solution via a sculptor friend who used to do
free-lance graphics projects to put money away (or pay her credit card
bills), then spend months just creating art. (On the other hand, when she got
grants, she used to use them to take long trips - "Hey, that's important for
my art too!") The key realization here is that you don't have to do the same
thing all year round.

As far as academics moving into the business world, I've known a ton.
Usually they end up (by whatever route) in finance of some sort. And make
lots of money. Bye-bye academia. The only thing that remains is the
intensity and the concern for precision - now turned to more lucrative ends.

If that's your goal (fate), technical writing might just be the first step in
getting used to the business world. Once you know the ground rules, bit by
bit you'd shift towards where the money is.

That'd be near the spot I left a few years back....

Jim C.
Los Angeles