Re: Web Authoring Software

Subject: Re: Web Authoring Software
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -dot- bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:49:05 -0500

Nyman, Rikki wrote:<SNIP>

> I am operating
> in Win95, but would be interested in the Mac opinions out there too.

I gotta throw my vote in for Net Objects Fusion. You said that you
wanted template-based development, and NOF Styles fit the bill. You can
create your own styles easily in the style editor, and those components
are guaranteed to available on every page you choose them to be in the
site. It is awesome. Completely visual development environment, just
draw a box on the screen, and boom! you've got HTML anywhere you want on
the page.

It breaks the paradigm of the "underlying grid" that word
processor-based HTML editors like Front Page have. Yet, the HTML is
much more standard (meaning not browser-specific) and... it doesn't have
annoying habits like inserting extra tags you don't want, etc.

I personally have used it to create public and internal sites, and have
encorporated all of the "canned" elements that come with it, and I can
honestly say, after watching Front Page for 6 months, that NOF is the
better tool for Site Building. Forms are easier to implement, and you
don't have to use "non-standard" methods to build the forms either (i.e.
Front Page webots) but rather any CGI scripts, or the ones that come
with NOF.

The downside of NOF is that it is NOT an HTML editor, like the Front
Page Editor. This means, that if you really need to tweak the code,
you'll need a text editor. I find this true with Front Page as well.

> I need your feedback ASAP, so I can get the software ordered right
> away.
> I will summarize for the list, if y'all want to know which gets the
> highest "score".

I don't think you'll ever replace a good text editor in the line up as
an HTML person. If you're looking for a "raw code" way of assembling
sites, then I'd look at Allaire's HomeSite. It has a pure code view,
and yet offers dialogs for things like:

* Tables
* Frames
* Objects

So... to recap... if you want WYSIWYG, NetObjects Fusion is the way to
go. For code, try Allaire's HomeSite.

just my $.02 worth, YMMV.
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

Prediction 4
"The people who are studying Tai Chi Chuan instead
of saving money are planning to beat us up and take
our stuff when we've retired"

Scott Adams - The Dilbert Future