Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Aug 1997 to 27 Aug 1997

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Aug 1997 to 27 Aug 1997
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:09:38 -0700

>My questions are: Why are software fixes listed in a User's Guide?
>If they are fixes that are complete, they should be documented like
>any other program function. If they are yet-to-be-completed fixes,
>why are they included in documentation of the current product?

Such things don't belong in the user's guide -- they belong in
the release notes. Users of the previous revision need to know
about bugs that have been fixed so they can stop using the
product in an awkward, unnatural manner. Users of the current
version need to know about bugs so they can use the program at
all, albeit in an awkward, unnatural manner.

Few companies put their bugs in the User's Guide because it
gives the impression that the bugs will be an integral part of
the product throughout its lifetime (though this can be addressed
through formatting), creates a maintenence headache, and (in the
case of printed manuals) causes tons of printed manuals to become
wastepaper every time someone reports or fixes a bug.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139