Help Generators comparison summary

Subject: Help Generators comparison summary
From: Julie Tholen <julie_tholen -at- CNT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:34:10 -0500

While poking around in our corporate library, I came across an industry
journal called "Software Development". This journal has proved to be a
regular mother-lode of information, that while written for the software
arena, has been easily transferable and applicable to documentation
development. One of the latest little gems may be of interest to those
on the list considering plunging into online help development. The March
1996 (Vol.4, No.3) issue has, beginning on p. 57, a four-page grid that
reviews help generator products in the following categories:

Price
RAM Requirements
HD Allocation
Development platforms Supported
Target Platforms Supported
Stand-alone Products
Word Processor Add-ins
Functionality
Screen Captures
View Topics in Tree Format
Boolean String Searches
etc.
File Formats
Importable
Graphics
Animation
Video
Audio

And then there are reviewer comments.

Check it out. It seemed pretty useful to me.

J.A.E. Tholen
Sr. Technical Writer
CNT, Inc.
612.550.8317