Re: Skills Needed For Web Design -Reply

Subject: Re: Skills Needed For Web Design -Reply
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:01:25 -0500

Bill Sullivan wrote:
I don't know if this applies to you personally, but I think Shriver's words should constitute a rather useful thought for anybody so caught up in Web work that he or she forgets the importance of presenting the story properly.
I agree wholeheartedly. A solid understanding of information
architecture and design principles are IMHO the most important
qualities a web author should have. I'm much more apt to revisit a
simple site that is well-organized, useful, and quick-loading than I
am to visit a site that is jam-packed with new technology but poorly
thought-out. I inherited a web site very much like the latter, and
have been slowly trying to transform it into the former. Since we're
introducing a whole new product line, I've decided to just tear down
the whole thing and start from scratch so I can build the
directory/organization structure from the start, rather than trying to
impose one on a pre-existing hypertext hairball <end vent>.

I think an effect of the proliferation of "new" technologies on the
web is the separation of web authors into two groups...the
writer/designers and the programmers. The line between them is
certainly fuzzed (much like technical writing), but the distinction is
there nonetheless. The most effective websites, I think, are
produced by teams that combine the talents of both
groups, or by a single person who possesses both design and
programming talents (a rare find perhaps).

I'm not knocking either type of web author...as the lone web author for my company with no programming background (except HTML, which really isn't programming at all), I would welcome the addition of a web author with more of a programming bent. As it is now, the IS department where I work doesn't even know how to set up/maintain a web server (we host our site with a local ISP). I talk to our part-time IS consultants when I can, but the lack of "techie" feedback is difficult at times. There's so many new technologies, and I get lost trying to understand how they all work/fit in/apply to what I'm doing.

(Okay, now I'm REALLY done venting, I promise. OR was that
whining? Rambling maybe? I know, I know, shut UP already).

Cheers from Wisconsin, the land of whine and cheese,

Jennifer Jelinek
Tech Writer/Web Person
Ametek Water Filters
Jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com