Re: Skills Needed For Web Design

Subject: Re: Skills Needed For Web Design
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:29:41 -0500

----------
> From: Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>
>
> Now I want to learn more about the nitty gritty stuff -- Java, CGI
> sripting, etc. Where do I begin? Can I learn this from a book or do I
> need to take a class? Can I jump right into or do I have to go back to
> programming 101 (maybe take a class in C, then another in C++, and THEN
> a class in Java...).

Whether you can learn this from a book depends on your learning style and
the particular book. I was able to learn quite a bit from books and web
sites. However, I learned the most and the quickest by experimenting and
doing.

Here's one important thing you'll need to take care of right away: get
access to a server. Many web hosting services won't give you access to
change the WWW service settings necessary to enable your scripts. They may
even charge you for testing and installing them! The ideal situation is to
have a server in the room with you. If your machine at home is capable of
running NT 4.0, then install that along with the Microsoft Peer Web
Services that comes with it. Then you'll have ultimate control over the WWW
service settings, which you'll need if you want to code and test CGI or
other scripts.

If you're reluctant to install Win NT 4.0, there is a Personal Web Server
available for Win95, but I don't know if it supports CGI. You may be able
to find that out at Microsoft's web site.

> I took Pascal in college and have been working in various programming
> environments (mostly C and C++ as a tech writer) ever since. Does that
> count for anything?

Yes, any programming experience is helpful. You'll need the object oriented
knowledge for Java. If you code your scripts in Perl, you should find the
language and syntax relatively straightforward.

Best of luck!

Regards...Kris