CHAT: Translation goofs

Subject: CHAT: Translation goofs
From: Kathleen Frost <kfrost -at- BTSQUARED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:48:18 -0400

Several weeks ago, I asked for help from the list members on tips to
remember when translating software. I am still getting answers and putting
together a list of firms we found that do translation and localization. I
will summary soon.

In the meantime, one of my programmers decided to give me the down side of
translating by passing on a list of 19 translation faux pas, such as:

>>In Chinese, the Kentucky Fried Chicken slogan "finger-lickin' good" came
out as "eat your
fingers off".

I don't know how well this list is known so I don't want to post a repeat
but if you're having a rough "hump day" and need a good laugh, contact me
and I'll send it along.

Kathy Frost
KFrost -at- BTSquared -dot- com