Re: Grey, Gray, Ghosted, Unavailable

Subject: Re: Grey, Gray, Ghosted, Unavailable
From: oAnn Carter <crossroots -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:24:48 -0400

At 10:39 AM 8/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>When a menu item is not available (windows-like interface), what is the
>applicable terminology to use in documentation. I've seen greyed-out,
>ghosted, and so forth. What terminology are others using to indicate these
>items in menu choices?

We use "grayed" or "greyed" (depending on whether the audience is American
or British and someone cares) because it's easier than "disabled" for
non-technical users to figure out if they don't know the feature. We might
use "disabled" if the audience were developers because they are familiar
with the term. I did a job once for someone (the purported user expert on
staff) who insisted that I use "cursor focus." He agreed with the logic of
my objection but rather than change his decision, told me to write an
explanation of cursor focus.

Ann C.

>to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
>browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

"Are we having fun yet?"