Re: Receiving Word 6 files

Subject: Re: Receiving Word 6 files
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:41:05 -0800

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:47:22 -0500, Janet M. Stanton wrote:

>I have a client who has not upgraded to Windows 95 yet.

To some people, doing so would be a DOWNgrade...

>He has Microsoft Word 6.0 but not Word 7.0 or Word 97,

Probably a good thing, since both require Win95/NT to run...

>and really does not want to upgrade.

If you read the trade press, you'll know why :-)

>I have been able to receive and open Word files from him; however, when
>he opens my returned file with changes, it was nothing but garbage--no
>real text.

This may be a silly question, but do you SAVE them in Word 6 format
before sending them to him? Microsoft's backward compatibility in file
formats is bad enough to begin with, but you can't generally expect
something saved native to a newer version of ANY product to open properly
in an older version of that product.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>