Re: Quick Start sections.

Subject: Re: Quick Start sections.
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:41:27 -0400

I, like the audience for which I write (sys admins), am impatient and
cranky.
I jump right in and get to work. I generally only read manuals when I'm
stuck.
However, when I have a Quick Start available (as a small, separate
pamphlet),
I'll skim it before I start working. It's small and manageable. I can
"afford" to
read it and do some tasks and feel like I've accomplished something in
short
order. If it's a chapter in a manual, I usually won't bother -- I, for
some reason,
feel that because it's part of a several-hundred-page manual, it will
take longer.

We found out that our users reacted the same way. We had a separate
Quick Start
guide. Then we combined it with the User's Guide. Our customers yelled.
Same
info, but it's "usefulness" factor dropped through the ground. We
reintroduced it
as a separate guide -- they take the time to learn to do some simple
tasks
correctly and save our tech support folks some time.

We actually have two versions of the Quick Start now. One is for web
evaluation
customers who have downloaded our product and want to give it a whirl
without
wading through hundreds of pages of docs. The other is for actual
customers. Both
cover a standard installation, basic configuration, and some simple
tasks that let
them accomplish a small sample of what they want to do. They are well
worth the
time and effort for our audience.

HTH,
A.