Re: Business Stuff

Subject: Re: Business Stuff
From: Candace Bamber <cbamber -at- CASTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:06:21 -0400

Group,
Thanks to everyone who provided information about resources for definitions
of business terms!

A number of people asked me to summarize to the list, so here it is:

_______________
*Overwhelming vote was for Baron's various dictionaries: Dictionary of
Banking Terms, of Financial Terms, of Business Terminology, etc. My first
stop will be at the local Chapters to have a look through these.

_______________
*www.brint.com - I had a look at this and it looks like a great resource.
It has a research jump-off point and an extensive "virtual library" Also a
chat group and a spot for announcements, etc. - here's the summary from the
home page:

"A Business Researcher's Interests is a searchable knowledge map of
Contemporary Business, Management and Information Technology issues. It
provides access to hundreds of full-text articles & papers, magazines &
journals, case studies and tools, and thousands of other resources on some
of the hottest issues of interest to Business, Technology & Information
professionals. Cutting-edge topics include Business Process Reengineering,
Knowledge Management, Organizational Learning, Complex Systems & Chaos,
Intranets, Virtual Corporations, Outsourcing, Electronic Markets &
Electronic Commerce. Also included are a research jumpstation for all areas
of business research, international business issues, intellectual property
issues, information policy issues, web strategy and marketing issues, and
key applications of information systems research.

________________
*Business Law Today, by RA Miller and GA Jentz (various editions) - I
haven't seen a copy of this yet, so I can't comment

*The Portable MBA in Finance and Accounting, by John Leslie Livingstone,
John Wiley and Sons, 1992. - This is very readable and quite fascinating,
actually. This is a really good over-view, but (not surprisingly) a little
sparse on detail.

And two suggestions:
*To call the reference librarian at the public library (I always forget
that one - and I have no excuse since my sis is a librarian)
*To require the client to provide their own business definitions (Not
feasible in this case, but definitely the preferred method!)

Once again, thanks everybody!

Candace