Re: Legacy help projects and job openings

Subject: Re: Legacy help projects and job openings
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:42:25 -0500

> Here's my idea if the text content of the Help will truly be the same
> in
> all three versions: Create three bitmap folders, each containing the
> graphics specific to one version of the interface. Use the same names
> for the graphics that will display in the same place in the Help; in
> other words, each folder will have graphics named bitmap01.bmp,
> bitmap02.bmp, and so on. Then use project setup to point to the
> correct
> bitmap folder for the version you want to compile. If you keep all
> the
> names the same, you shouldn't have to edit the Help source files at
> all.
> I haven't actually tried this myself, but in theory it should work!
>
> Kim Cramer
> mailto:kcramer -at- ncslink -dot- com
> Sr. Information Developer
> NCS Education, Mesa AZ
> *************

I've done it. It works fine. I was reusing the help for one product in
another product (that built on top of the first one). The text was fine
(it described stand-alone modules); however, the hierarchy diagrams
differed. Therefore, I made a second directory for the hierarchy
diagrams of the second product. I assigned the same names for each
substitute diagram and specified the applicable bitmap directory in the
HPJ files.

Mike Wing

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)