Localisation and SGML

Subject: Localisation and SGML
From: Sarah Carroll <sarahc -at- INDIGO -dot- IE>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 19:50:36 +0100

Just to clarify,
>As far as using SGML source documents for localization, I'd say this is
>an excellent idea. ILE is currently spearheading an SGML initiative
>(Open Tag--a DTD specifically for the localization industry), and many
>of the translation memory tools we have developed work well with SGML
>and HTML.

To which I replied:
>I would be very interested to know what a "DTD specifically for the
localization
>industry" would consist of. Could you be so good as to enlighten us? Please.

This was not meant to be sarcastic, nor to in any way offend Bill, and
I apologise if it was taken up that way. I have great admiration for
the work of Bill's colleagues in the R&D dept. in ILE, who have
contributed a significant amount of expertise and brain power to
the industry standards for Translation Memory Exchange, and with
whom I enjoy working immensely.

If there is any interest on the list regarding Translation Memory Exchange
and using SGML for localisation, I'm sure that between us we can
outline all the current standards and methodologies.

Again, sorry Bill.
Sarah
sarahc -at- indigo -dot- ie