Re: One space or two?

Subject: Re: One space or two?
From: "Wittel, Teresa J." <WITTTJ -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:29:00 -0700

It is my understanding that word processing systems with proportional
spacing recognize a period and allow a slightly larger following space
than between words within a sentence. When you add a second space, it
can create white "rivers" running down through the text that can be
distracting to the reader. In fact, once you notice them, it can be
difficult to ignore the "churning rivers of white water".

Although it has been hard to break "typewriter conditioning", I now use
a single space. I haven't noticed any deterioration of readability. (Any
more than pompus lectures NORMALLY do!)