Re: Logon/Log on

Subject: Re: Logon/Log on
From: Brian Lindgren <bjl -at- AWOD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 07:27:33 -0400

----------
Dan Wise wrote:

> Don Smith ( I hope) said that at his company logon has become synonymous
> with "logging on to."  Then he said not to sweat the little things.
>
> Don may be required to treat logon as a verb.  I am not, and I do not.

I once worked with a corporate style guide that had three different uses of the term in question:

1) log on
2) logon
3) log-on

Log on indicated an action; it was also sometimes used as "log onto." Examples: "If you log onto a computer ..." or "Log on over there..."

Logon reflected the screen command, which at the time was a DOS prompt. "Type in your name at logon." This was not necessarily a literal reference to the screen, but was also used to reference time of day.

Log-on was used in such hackneyed constructions as "His log-on name is Joe_Blow."

Yeah, yeah. Dull message, I know. I can hear some of you sawing logs.

Brian Lindgren
bjl -at- awod -dot- com