Linear vs. Nonlinear

Subject: Linear vs. Nonlinear
From: Lisa Ann Miller <Lisa_Ann_Miller -at- MASTERCARD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:11:41 -0500

I have to admit I've been very short sighted in my user evaluations. I
have overlooked how the user's approach information and learning.

For instance, I learn things very dynamically. I make connections
everywhere, then come back to the point. Other people learn things
systematically moving from one point to another and expanding from the
base. Now, I realize some of this may have to do with experience, but I
don't think all of it does. For example, a more experienced user may have
a different learning base, but still may add new information either
linearly or non linearly.

My questions are these:

What information is available to learn how to distinguish these different
learning methods?
Has anyone ever included this in their user evaluations?
How do you all think it would apply/change your documentation knowing this
type of information?

Lisa Miller
Sr. Technical Writer
MasterCard International