In defense of Word

Subject: In defense of Word
From: David Rapport <dave -at- NETMEDIA -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:28:44 +0200

In this morning's digest (while I was still digesting my corn flakes) I was
surprised to read the following:

>I am relieved to read that the master doc concept may have been
>rehabilitated for the "97" edition of MS Word, but I am shocked to find
>that despite chatty, flying paper clips and other new "features"
>Microsoft didn't see fit to address what I consider a major oversight.
>
>Use ZOOM in Pageview to see two pages at a time, and you CAN'T see
>facing pages together [even # on the left, yeah?]. I can't think of any
>reason I'd _want_ to see two pages at a time other than to see the
>layout of the "spread," and here they've fixed it so that you see pages
>1 & 2, 3 & 4, and so on [odd # on the left]. Idiotic. What were they
>thinking, if indeed they _were_ thinking?
>
>So now here's the latest version of the software, and the "feature"
>still works that way. This is the sort of thing for which people get
>chased up windmills by torch & pitchfork wielding peasants. Yes, I know,
>the quick-fix is to temporarily add a blank page between pages 1 & 2,
>but why should I have to?
>
>MS Word nicely comports with Herron's Law of Software: "The lower the
>list price, the better it works."
>
>Torches and pitchforks, anyone?

I think oversight is only on the part of the poster. I don't know what
Herron says about that.

In my experience, if I select "different odd and even headers/footers" in
Page Setup|Layout and then zoom in Print Preview to "two pages" I have the
odd pages on the right and the evens on the left.

Can anyone confirm this? Scott, please let me know if your mileage varies.

Rgds,

David

PS Despite a recent thread I don't have a clue whether or not I got my caps
and quote marks correct.