He/She/They

Subject: He/She/They
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:26:04 -0700

I notice that everyone is referring to "he" as the masculine pronoun.
That is only partially correct. According to my dictionary (1991 -- not
too antiquated), it is also the gender neutral pronoun.

I usually try to avoid that altogether (easy enough now since switching
to hardware doc -- "it" and "its" covers everything 8-)).

I have seen, in several academic papers, the use of "hym" and "hys"
instead of him (her) and his (her) and "they" for the singular. Major
cognitive dissonance.

I vote for a completely new pronoun that does not resemble any of the
other ones. Perhaps "SPLUNGE" --->(That's for Monty Python's fans)

Jason
Tired of sharing my personal pronoun with mixed groups and those without
gender ;-)
My opinion is my own and not that of my company's.