Re: use of he/she/they

Subject: Re: use of he/she/they
From: Pat Gantt <pagantt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:41:32 -0500

Can't offer a definite answer on this but can
tell y'all what I was told. I am only an English/
Journalism minor BS level but have a large amount
of Reading Masters Coursework (all but thesis)
and of course the obvious below...

When I was wrestling with this on a Training/
Tech. Support position while taking computer
science classes and business courses at the
same Community College... I asked an English
major BS Level and MS Level this question
while I was having fun writing for the staff
there... Now take into account she was more
the MLA type than APA but her advice was that
it was more politically correct <gag, buzz>
to intermix he then later she when referring
to say a generic user in documentation. So that's what
I did. I did use they as a plural subject when appropriate.

I tried to hang with "one" also when it didn't
sound too contrived. Since then I usually "one" as
much as possible .-)