Re: Corruption in Word 97

Subject: Re: Corruption in Word 97
From: Scott Herron <sherr19 -at- IDT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:35:42 -0400

[origin of thread lost in the mists of time]

> > I had a similar problem in Word 97, only that my document became
> > corrupt when I tried to print it from Page Layout view. . .
> > Apparently, the problem lies not in the master-sub arrangement,
> > but in working with the document in Page Layout view.

> I've noticed the same thing -- Page Layout mode tends to cause all
> sorts of strange corruptions and glitches. . .

> For the record though, I know most folks on this list cringe at Word's
> Master Doc, but I used it under Word 97 to create a 4-volume, 900+
> page set of user manuals and it worked.

While we're grousing about Word 97 [well anyway, _I_ am], I've got to
point out an MS Word pet peeve I haven't seen addressed on the list.

I am relieved to read that the master doc concept may have been
rehabilitated for the "97" edition of MS Word, but I am shocked to find
that despite chatty, flying paper clips and other new "features"
Microsoft didn't see fit to address what I consider a major oversight.

Use ZOOM in Pageview to see two pages at a time, and you CAN'T see
facing pages together [even # on the left, yeah?]. I can't think of any
reason I'd _want_ to see two pages at a time other than to see the
layout of the "spread," and here they've fixed it so that you see pages
1 & 2, 3 & 4, and so on [odd # on the left]. Idiotic. What were they
thinking, if indeed they _were_ thinking?

So now here's the latest version of the software, and the "feature"
still works that way. This is the sort of thing for which people get
chased up windmills by torch & pitchfork wielding peasants. Yes, I know,
the quick-fix is to temporarily add a blank page between pages 1 & 2,
but why should I have to?

MS Word nicely comports with Herron's Law of Software: "The lower the
list price, the better it works."

Torches and pitchforks, anyone?

Regards,

--
Scott Herron | sherr19 -at- idt -dot- net

Our Mission Statement: "Brute Force Cybernetics: Creating a need -
and then filling it."