Re: Using capital letters

Subject: Re: Using capital letters
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:39:39 -0500

----------
> From: Jennifer O'Neill <jennyon -at- ARITECH -dot- COM>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Using capital letters
> Date: Friday, August 08, 1997 12:12 PM
>
> A tech writer who recently joined my company uses capital letters in
> a way I can't quite follow and am not very keen about. She just
> handed in a manual with sentences like:
>
> The Red LED on the Alarm Panel will be lit.

If she follows her own advice, she needs to capitalize the "b" in "be." The
verb is a "key" word, isn't it? :-)

Seriously, do you have a documented style guideline? If so, a topic on
capitalization should be present (added if necessary). Then you can tell
her to follow the guideline. Otherwise, I'd defer to the Chicago Manual of
Style of other de facto standards on using capital letters.

Even more seriously, I'd have to question both her experience and her
education. This style is highly unusual and would not be acceptable
anywhere I've worked. (BTW, I've written manuals for several Fortune 400
companies.)

Regards...Kris