Re: Creating on-line docs: Summary

Subject: Re: Creating on-line docs: Summary
From: "jack w. bonney" <ssi_can -at- ISTAR -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:29:38 -0700

Colleen Adams wrote:

> I received many requests to summarize the information I got
> re: on-line documentation and how to get started. So, for all you
> original posting--see "??s and Answers" for the responses I
> received): [I apologize in advance for this lengthy message...]
>
> We are now getting more and more requests to provide our technical
> documentation manuals on-line; however, I don't really know what to do
> to get started. Currently, all of our manuals are in Word95 (I know...
> "aaarrgghh," "gasp," "yuck," you're saying to yourselves).
>
> We have created on-line help for a couple of our Windows-based
> products using Doc-To-Help, and I've received training on constructing
> on-line documentation. I have also budgeted for more training, tools, etc.
> for this project in the coming fiscal year (so money is not really too big of
> an issue)... BUT, I'm not really familiar with what tools are best, what
> training is good, and the buzzwords associated with on-line docs. HOW
> DO I GET STARTED???
>
> ??s and Answers:
> 1) Is FrameMaker the way to go if converting some manuals to on-line?
> A: For paper manuals to PDF? Absolutely!
> A: If already using Word95, there is no need to convert. You can use
> Microsoft Help Compiler 4.0 (ships w/ SDK for any MS product) and edit
> the RTF files the compiler uses in Word. Just take the existing DOC files
> and "save as" RTF. You can then add tags.
> A: Not necessarily, although I prefer FrameMaker over Word for manual
> writing. FrameMaker makes it easier to produce Adobe Acrobat files
> because it can covert cross-references to hypertext links and headings
> to bookmarks. The new version of FrameMaker (5.5) can save
> FrameMaker files directly in Acrobat PDF format. (website:
> http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/framemaker/main.html
> A: If you have docs written in Word or Frame, you can use Adobe
> Acrobat to convert to PDF. But you might want to convert to HTML
> instead. Frame may be coming out with a new version (5.2, 6.0?) that
> includes a very good HTML converter. If most of your customers do not
> have Netscape or another browser, may want to consider using PDF
> instead of HTML.
> A: If you are throwing your current manuals on-line (and not creating
> help), you could use Acrobat.
>
> 2) Is Word compatible with FrameMaker? Is there a lot of work involved
> in converting?
> A: It's not bad once you get your Frame templates established. Word 2.0
> and 6.0 are fine. Word 97: no filters yet. Frame 5.1.2 doesn't like the
> RTF that Word produces.
> A: It was awful! Converting takes a lot of time and cleanup.
> A: You can import Word files directly into FrameMaker (haven't tried
> exporting from FrameMaker to Word.)
> A: Word and FrameMaker love each other! They're extremely compatible.
> You can even preserve much formatting during the conversion.
> However, don't know how to make graphics survive the conversion.
> [...]
one last thought connected to my previous message to you....

if you have several (3 or more) topics that will have to be maintained,
you should consider whether you will need some paper-based copies; if
you will need paper-based copies, then do you need office-size and
handbook-size as well.

we have found, that out of all the paper once produced on manuals (i.e.
all the field copies) you will only be able to eliminate about 60% of
the paper....

this presents another challenge: how to syncopate the revisions so that
everybody is reading out of the same version at the same time???

when the master version is ready for release it is ready for instant
access across your network, however, if it will take several days to a
week or longer to produce the paper-based updates, then you will have a
problem...

some subtle issue to consider, all of which we have addressed and
solved.

i hope this information is helpful....

sincerely,

jack w. bonney