Re: Writing novels too?

Subject: Re: Writing novels too?
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:14:53 -0700

Didn't see the original post, but have to add an emphatic yes here. I
actually started out writing novels (although never seriously expected
to earn a living at it), and then later was ecstatic to discover this
profession where I actually get paid to write. The training I went
through for tech writing (U. of Washington's certificate program) not
only gave me a good basis for professional writing, but improved my
fiction writing tremendously--it helped me learn about writing for a
purpose (any purpose!) and gave me a better command of the written word
in general.

We had this thread about six months ago, and I remember commenting on
how difficult it was to write all day and then go home and write. My
solution at that time was to try and complement work and home writing:
if I'd done some freewheeling brainstorming at work, then I'd try to do
revisions and editing at home; or if I'd been stuck perfecting a
two-page brochure at work, then it would be a relief to to just
free-write at home. I still think this "philosophy" holds true for me.

Another thing that's helped is I set daily and long-term goals--two
pages on weekdays, three on weekends, or whatever. This helps me see
the result of all those days when I just collapse in front of the TV
after work. Often I don't meet the daily goals, but I don't worry about
it too much, mostly it's just a tool that helps me get a sense of
progress.