Re: Tips for agencies

Subject: Re: Tips for agencies
From: Buck Buchanan <buck -dot- buchanan -at- CITICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 06:22:54 -0700

> Hmmm. Well, you never know; what's a bad location to me might be
> attractive to someone else--maybe the recruiter could cross his/her
> fingers and hope someone is experienced, mobile, and enamoured of
> extremes in climate.

True. The Mideast is a perfect example. Tilly and I love working in
the Arab World. We've been in Saudi Arabia when all hell was breaking
loose. We just "low-profile" it when problems arise.

It's probably one of the safest places in the world (crime-wise).

Others, who cringe when we mention going to the Mideast, may have their
priorities mixed up.

My salary in Taif, Saudi Arabia was DOUBLE what I could get here, plus
if I stay a year, there's tax exemption. Zero local tax there.
Gasoline is $.30 per gallon. Cost of living on the local economy (not
in a company enclave) is 25% less than in DFW.

Other places which may be less desirable all pay hardship bonuses (they
don't call them that). When a war breaks out (as it does about every
two years), and if we're in danger, we re-negotiate or go home.

We see "bad" places in the US in the same way. If the pay justifies the
hardship, take it for a year.

And there's always our "bucket theory." I've told the list about this,
but perhaps you missed it:

Two metaphorical buckets are carried throughout the contract; one
contains honey, the other s---.

When the s--- outweighs the honey, honey, it's time to go home.

Thank goodness for the "Shangai law." They can't keep you there if you
don't want to stay.

Carry a minimum of $5000 in greenbacks when you go, just in case.

IMHO
--
Buck Buchanan
Software Documentation

buck -dot- buchanan -at- citicorp -dot- com
Home: writer -at- wf -dot- net