Re: Word 7 hangs

Subject: Re: Word 7 hangs
From: Barclay Blanchard <bblancha -at- HALIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:06:05 -0500

I had so much trouble with Word 97 hanging and corrupting my
documents... lost at least a week's worth of work... that I
switched back to Word 6.

What I was doing to work around it was saving files in backup
directories (was keeping 3 different backups, i.e., save at 8am
in backup1, save at 11 am in backup 2, etc., because corruption
was so unpredictable) and recreating from last uncorrupted file.

Have you noticed the item numbering bugs yet? In my help source
documents, I have lots of numbered lists. Somewhere down the
line, I'd create a list and select the option to Restart Numbering
for it. Word 97 would renumber all the lists as if they were one
long list, so the list I was working with might start with 167
(although, again, I'd selected Restart Numbering, from the first
line of the list I wanted nubmered). The fix was to click on Undo.
It didn't Undo numbering; it reset all the numbers the way I wanted
them.