Lists of headings

Subject: Lists of headings
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:20:55 -0500

Tim Glasheen asked for suggestions: <<On the first page of
our chapters, we have a bulleted list of the main topics
(Heading 1). My procedures chapter has almost 20 bullets.>>

The first thing that comes to mind is to lose the bullets
and treat this as an ordinary table of contents, complete
with page numbers. My second thought is that if you have 20
headings, you probably also have a fair number of
second-level headings, and it might be useful to include
these too... though perhaps not for procedures. Here's a
less traditional solution: if the procedures in this
chapter aren't in alphabetical order, reorder the bullets
to form an alphabetical index to the headings... this would
greatly facilitate access, since readers won't have to skim
through all 20 bullets if they already know the title of
the procedure.