Who writes employment exams?

Subject: Who writes employment exams?
From: Patgmason <patgmason -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:25:15 -0400

Just took an employment test which is given to apparently hundreds of
people in my state. I feel young again since it was so reminiscent of the
PSAT.

But, I was kind of horrified that the test was 11 years old and had typos
and other small errors in the text, and some of the questions were
grotesquely ambiguous and others were culturally biased, etc. etc.

Are private educational consulting firms the usual designers, reviewers of
these? Would one have to be a double PhD in education and statistics to
take a wrench to a bad test? It's really strange that this town has
essentially no openings for technical writers at the moment but this kind
of dreck is in use. Well, it's not dreck exactly, but cheez, after 11
years you'd think the glaring errors would have been weeded out...A deeper
question, does ANYONE in government care?