Re: Offensive Symbols

Subject: Re: Offensive Symbols
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:51:54 -0500

Colleagues,

An example of differences in cultures.

A few years back my son was working on a project with the Brazilian
subsidiary of his USian company. One day while I was visiting his home, he
got a call from one of his Brazilian contacts. I about fell out of my chair
when he answered the phone caller's ID with a cheerful "Paolo, you son of a
bitch!" When I asked about such an inappropriate form of "hello," I was
told that was standard greeting terminology in that office. He said it was
expected. Otherwise, Paolo would have thought my son did not like him.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com