Re: Excruciating resumes, take III

Subject: Re: Excruciating resumes, take III
From: Julie <nobozos -at- SOUND -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:40:48 -0500

At 11:16 AM 7/30/97 -0500, geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:
> Heck, this would be a fun job in SGML... write a DTD for
> each type of resume you need to create, structure the text
> in a master file, and output a custom resume at the click
> of a button! You could even do it with grep if you're a
> UNIX type, or put the info. in a database to prove you
> understand database publishing. Easy as pie! <gdr>

This would actually be really easy to do in a database, if you created a
record for each job you'd had, with a column (or field) for each type of job
description (short, medium, long, bulleted...) and starting and ending
dates, plus basic company info. You could base your report on a query that
pulls the correct type of information, and use macros (VBA code is a breeze,
if you use Office) to automagically format the resume.

I actually keep track of the resumes I've sent out in an Access database, so
adding some information about what type of resume would be a breeze. The
resume database takes up way less space than our home library database. :-)

Julie, going back to lurking now