Re: Non-standard Manual Sizes

Subject: Re: Non-standard Manual Sizes
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:32:22 -0700

Heli Roosild wrote:

> We've been using Docutech for several years, and it is every bit as good
> as Amy says.

Let me second what Heli says. Docutech has been the workhorse of the
quickprint industry for short-run manuals for years, and Xerox has made
incremental improvements over the years. Unless you're after
high-quality printing, or you have a large (>1000 copies) run, Docutech
can compare favorably with the bids by off-shore printers.

> Just recently, our print vendor introduced a digital color
> printer (I don't know if it is a Docutech or not). This allows us the
> luxury of 4-color manual covers for LESS than the price of traditional
> 2-color. As a rule, we order 100 copies of our manuals at a time. The
> extra cost for the color cover is only $1 per book, and worth every penny
> in customer--and Sales team--satisfaction.

It's a Xerox processor, and I agree that the color covers are a nice
touch. I'm looking at a 4-color brochure done at a local Kinko's by
their 4-color Xerox, and it looks nice. The print overlays aren't as
precise as I suspect I'd get from a regular color printing house, but it
would take a magnifying glass to determine that.

Elna Tymes