Excruciatingly detailed resumes, take II

Subject: Excruciatingly detailed resumes, take II
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:01:27 -0500

John Posada pointed out some problems with my suggestion of
using a single encyclopedic resume as the source document
for creating other, customized resumes. I still like the
basic notion, despite the problems, so I'm responding
on-list to see where this leads us:

<<If you (collectively) are like me, during job hunting
time, you may have anywhere from a dozen to a couple of
hundred copies of a resume on the street. ... I know that I
have a hard time keeping track of those versions.>>

Sounds like a job for a database or SGML! <grin> It's a
good point, though: in exchange for the power of a
customized resume, there's some complexity and extra work
involved. The only obvious solution that comes to mind is
to keep your cover letter on file with the final resume you
create, and if the employer contacts you, to refer to that.
When I interview, I always make sure to bring along my
cover letter and resume and review them before the
interview. I suppose you could also create two or three
specific versions and use only those; for example, a "cold
call resume" (one size fits all), a "resume only for
agencies", and a "resume for low-tech firms". Good
compromise?

<<Keep in mind that sometimes an organization will get a
copy of your resume without you sending it to them
directly.>>

True. I've never worked through an agency, and my
suggestion might lead to problems if you work primarily
through agencies. On the other hand, since you're paying
the agency (via their commission) to screen you for
applicants, I suspect that you could create a single
comprehensive (if not encyclopedic) resume specifically for
agencies. Thoughts?

<<I'd have trouble speaking intelligently (hell...I have
that problem when I'm sure of my footing) with anyone until
I knew what document they were looking at and sometimes,
their opinion of you is made within the first 30 seconds.>>

I'm not sure how that problem would arise. I've never been
asked "what did you mean on line 7 of the resume?", nor do
interviewers expect you to have your resume memorized. A
more typical question is "I see that you claim to be
proficient at SGML. Can you elaborate?" For that sort of
question, you shouldn't need your resume at hand.

<<I might have the same version on two or three medium;
hardcopy, electronic, and html...but they would all be the
same as far as content and composition.>>

I agree that the content is likely to be substantially the
same, but composition should theoretically vary to take
advantage of the unique characteristics of each medium. For
example, an HTML or WinHelp resume should use hyperlinks
rather than presenting everything on the single, linear
page you use with paper. In short, demonstrate that you
understand how to take advantage of the medium's strengths
and compensate for its weaknesses. Am I misunderstanding
you?

<<When I update the resume, I change all three versions at
the same time:>>

That's pretty much what I do too, but I don't like the
extra work. If you agree that a customized resume is better
than a generic one (an ideal, not necessarily a practical
approach), it desn't seem like there's any really efficient
way around it, does there?

<<Custom write the cover letter if you need individuality,
slanting the cover letter to reflect the requirements of
the assignment instead.>>

And that's an excellent strategy no matter what you do with
the resume. It lets you use a "one size fits all" resume,
while still allowing some customization.