Re: Excuciatingly detailed resumes

Subject: Re: Excuciatingly detailed resumes
From: John Posada <JOHN -dot- POSADA -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:16:26 -0400

>>>My project is to take all my old resumes (which I still keep file copies
of) and combine them into a single massive resume<<<

Geoff...

On the surface, what you are proposing is a good idea...however, I see a
problem with it.

If you (collectively) are like me, during job hunting time, you may have
anywhere from a dozen to a couple of hundred copies of a resume on the street.
In the last 4 years have had to send my resume out twice (two periods...not two
resumes) and I know that I have a hard time keeping track of those versions.
What you are proposing could result in NUMEROUS versions out there. Now, think
of having to talk to any number of people about the resume you sent them. How
do you propose keeping track of which resume they may have. Keep in mind that
sometimes an organization will get a copy of your resume without you sending it
to them directly. Besides, you may not always have access to your log or files
to know which version they got. I'd have trouble speaking intelligently
(hell...I have that problem when I'm sure of my footing) with anyone until I
knew what document they were looking at and sometimes, their opinion of you is
made within the first 30 seconds.

To me, the benefits don't outweigh the potential for problems, or at least,
confusion. I'd rather take the time to create the best resume I can. I might
have the same version on two or three medium; hardcopy, electronic, and
html...but they would all be the same as far as content and composition. When
I update the resume, I change all three versions at the same time:

* create it in word processing or DTP for hardcopy output and those that ask
for it that way
* save as ASCII for those that want to scan the document (giving them ASCII
prevents the problems inherent in scanning
* save as html to put up on the web.

Custom write the cover letter if you need individuality, slanting the cover
letter to reflect the requirements of the assignment instead.

John Posada
Ernst & Young
Tactical Applications Group
Lyndhurst, NJ
john -dot- posada -at- ey -dot- com (work)
john -at- tdandw -dot- com (personal)
http://www.ey.com (work)
http://www.tdandw.com (personal)
(201) 842-2699

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our
air and water that are doing it."
- Vice President Dan Quayle