Re: Non-standard Manual Sizes

Subject: Re: Non-standard Manual Sizes
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 11:45:09 -0700

At 02:01 PM 7/29/97 -0400, Marie C. Paretti wrote:

> I am basically starting from ground zero

What a bad place to be. All that destruction and desolation around you.

>Here's my question: my boss asked me the other day about doing the manuals
>on something other than 8 1/2 x 11, so I searched the techwr-l archives
>this a.m. and discovered that, in fact, there seems to be a trend toward
>something more like 7 x 9. Great. But for those of you who churn out
>these smaller manuals, how the heck do you physically produce the things?
>Do you need to have non-standard size manuals printed professionally? Or
>is there actually a company out there that will sell me 7 x 9 paper to feed
>into my printer? Or is there some other handy solution I'm missing?

To produce manuals in sizes smaller than letter size, the print vendor has
to trim the pages. Some software like FrameMaker will actually print crop
marks on your letter size paper to tell the print vendor where to trim.

--Wayne