Non-standard Manual Sizes

Subject: Non-standard Manual Sizes
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:01:38 -0400

A brief intro: I am the entire documentationand training department for a
small software company. We have some manuals, all written by very nice,
well-meaning programmers, so I am basically starting from ground zero and
creating a whole new set of documentation (which will include user manuals,
system administrator/technical support manuals, and system integration
manuals). Right now it's all on Word 97 (though from what I've read on the
list and the potential size of the docs, I may work on trying to sell Frame
to the powers the be). And yes, I'm tired already, but I really like my job!

Here's my question: my boss asked me the other day about doing the manuals
on something other than 8 1/2 x 11, so I searched the techwr-l archives
this a.m. and discovered that, in fact, there seems to be a trend toward
something more like 7 x 9. Great. But for those of you who churn out
these smaller manuals, how the heck do you physically produce the things?
Do you need to have non-standard size manuals printed professionally? Or
is there actually a company out there that will sell me 7 x 9 paper to feed
into my printer? Or is there some other handy solution I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti
Department of English Recognition Research, Inc.
University of Wisconsin - Madison Blacksburg, Virginia
mparetti -at- facstaff -dot- wisc -dot- edu mparetti -at- rrinc -dot- com

Sometimes I feel like a dog
standin' on a tool box
in the back of a pickup truck
doin' 90 round a corner