Technical WRITERS

Subject: Technical WRITERS
From: Ivan Volaric <ivolaric -at- GESB -dot- WA -dot- GOV -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:34:03 +0800

Folks-

I won't bother responding to Mr. Bonney's so-called "survey". Others
(notably Jim Purcell) have done a more than adequate job of that.
However, it is indeed scary (as Don Sargent states) to find that this
guy is offering documentation services! I think that other respondents
to his survey have correctly "jumped to the conclusion" that he will use
their responses for marketing material on his website. Otherwise, why
wasn't he upfront about his company and the services they offer in the
first place?

Producing good documentation is not easy. Using a sound methodology will
most certainly help. The bottom line, however, is being able to _write_
well - that is, to communicate some fact(s) clearly. Sadly, looking at
Mr. Bonney's web site, it is obvious that this is a skill he (or his
company) is lacking.

I don't know what the system he is peddling does but, looking at the
turgid prose on his website and his dumb posting to this group, I
wouldn't put a lot of faith in it.

Regards...Ivan.