Buzzwords & secret handshakes

Subject: Buzzwords & secret handshakes
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:29:18 -0400

Kimba <kimba -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM> wrote:

>It's now obvious to me that I don't know the current buzzwords >which lead to the secret handshakes which lead to job offers. >I've exhausted the archives and the Web looking for current >terminology. Can anyone clue me in?

Are you sure you _want_ to be clued in? I can't help thinking that
people who throw around terms like "System Development Life Cycle
documentation" may have--how can I put it politely?--strayed from the
main point of technical writing?

(Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I was bitten by several books by George
Orwell when I was young, and developed a strong allergy to unnecessary
jargon. Symptoms are high blood pressure, vomiting, unfocused eyes, and
a repeated urge to thwack myself on the side of the head in disbelief.
The only known remedy is mega-doses of clear, well-organized prose)

--
Bruce Byfield
Freelance Technical Writer

"Richard had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly,
but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once."
--Neil Gaiman, "Neverwhere"