Price Range for User Manual Summary (long)

Subject: Price Range for User Manual Summary (long)
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:57:04 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post requesting infomration about
what to charge and how to charge in a contract job for a user manual.
Judging by the responses I received, others want this information as well,
so here is the summary of what I learned.

AT INITIAL PHONE CONTACT:

Tell the client "I'd like to talk to you about the project before
giving a bid. I need to know how much work is involved"

Find out how many pages, graphics, illustrations.

Obtain the client's list of requirements for the project.

BEFORE INITIAL MEETING WITH CLIENT:

Perform a requirements analysis from the list of requirements.
(not sure exactly what this entails--sounds good though)

Estimate the length of the project.

Look closely at the interface you are documenting.

AT INITIAL MEETING WITH CLIENT:

Discuss contract issues such as:

-Job schedule (deliverables, milestones, and payments)
-Get 25% UP FRONT
-Require "In-process Payments" every 25 hours
-Major changes will cost extra
-Renegotiation of price should document size or
tool used change

Provide a quote based on estimated time. OVERESTIMATE THE TIME!!
Tell client that it is a rough estimate and subject to change.

Offer a "Time and Materials not to exceed" contract in certain
circumstances. <FOR SEASONED CONTRACTORS ONLY>

Have client sign the contract.

TIPS:

For Novices

Work some sample pages and figure out how long they are taking you
before giving an estimate.

Don't fix price the contract until after you have done several by
the hour (if at all).

Most contractors bid by the hour, not by the job.

Stick with "time and materials" contracts and devlop your sense of
product scope by keeping logs--to record phone calls, email,
reviews, etc.

Show client that a fixed price is generally 15-20% higher in cost
to cover additional risk (if they insist on a fixed price contract).

Don't settle for less pay just because you are new to the field.
Ask for what you want and see what they do.

BE CAREFUL--MANY FACTORS TO CONSIDER--DON'T GET TAKEN

For everyone:

Always include a clause stating that changes and additions will
cost extra.

Never quote a per page price to client.

Get an exact date for picking up the markup when you submit the
manual.

If not ready by agreed upon date, submit an invoice marked:
FINAL INVOICE
CLIENT HAS NOT RESPONDED TO FINAL SUBMISSION

Take check straight to the bank upon receipt.

BOTTOM LINES:

Shoot for $100 dollars per page. Expect $25-$30

Estimate quote at 5-7 hours per page.
ex. 100 (pages) * 7 (hours/page) * $35/hour (wage)

$24,500

Estimate quote at 2-5 pages per screen and report (depending
on complexity), then 2.5 hours per page times (*) hourly wage.

HEADS UP:

You cannot predict what changes the client is going to make and
how that is going to affect the document.

Make it *very* clear that an increase in scope will result in an
increase in price.

You can never give an *exact* price for any system. Pad your
estimates.

Identify changes in scope. Takes some practice and experience, but
is very important.

Sometimes clients don't know what they want until they see what
you deliver. Count on it!

I hope that this information is as helpful to others as it has been to me.
Thanks again, eveyone, for your advice!!!!

If there are any comments or points that you think I left out, please post
them to the list. It is very helpful to those of us who are new to
contracting. Thanks!!

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!