LaTex and indexing

Subject: LaTex and indexing
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:48:46 -0500

Matthew J. Long wondered <<I have never heard of Latex (and
I don't think this is a reference to prophylactics or
gloves) before. Anyone?>>

Nothing to do with gloves or prophylactics, though it does
remind me of a good joke: "What do engineers use for birth
control? Their personalities." <gdrlh> Seriously, though,
TeX is a form of markup language for typesetting
manuscripts that contain lots of mathematics; LaTex is a
version that makes TeX more palatable via various macros
and other shortcuts. I'm not intimately familiar with
either, so I can't comment further, but it shouldn't be
beyond your ability to learn... after all, mathematicians
can learn it. <gdrlh... twice in one message!> The real
question is how good you'll have to be to get the job: if
you can learn fast, the client isn't in a hurry, and the
client is willing to subsidize your learning curve, you
could take it on. Nonetheless, it would be ethical to warn
the client that you're a neophyte and build in some
insurance for _them_ in case you fail.

<<I have done some indexing for a manual that is less than
200 pages, but depending on what he is talking about, this
maybe more than I can handle.>>

Indexing is indexing: If you know what you're doing and
have some understanding of the subject matter, the
significant differences between indexing 10 pages and 2000
pages are how long it's going to take, and the degree of
difficulty in being consistent. If you don't know what
you're doing, consider subcontracting to someone who
does... Lori Lathrop is a member of this list, and if she's
too busy, you can probably get a referral from her.

<<How would you respond to this message if you were in my
shoes?>>

I'm not in your shoes, and thus wouldn't care to speculate.
Personally, I'd take on the indexing job because I'm a
competent (not great) indexer; I wouldn't touch the LaTex
job with a 10-foot pole because my knowledge of the
language is entirely theoretical, and I wouldn't consider
it fair to portray myself as a professional regarding
something I don't yet know how to do.

<<p.s. I just had a thought... what if the guy who sent me
this message is on this list? Hmmmmmmmm?>>

Then that would seem to answer whether you'll get the
contract, wouldn't it? Maybe not... some people still do
respect honesty and openness and might not hold this
against you.