Re: Latex and indexes?

Subject: Re: Latex and indexes?
From: Stephen Forrest <techwriter -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 16:20:07 GMT

Take a look at http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/

>I have done some indexing for a manual that is less than 200 pages,
>but depending on what he is talking about, this maybe more than I can
>handle. Indexers... what do you think?

Indexing is definitely a separate skill, but I don't think you necessarily
need special training to do it unless the requirements are extraordinarily
tight. The main thing is to be able to figure out everything a user is
likely to look up, and what they expect to find when they do.

>p.s. I just had a thought... what if the guy who sent me this message is
>on this list? Hmmmmmmmm?

He'll be impressed with your resourcefulness.